There are 7.8 billion people on this planet and 2.05 billion of those shop online and the numbers are growing. E-commerce sales are 15.5% of retail right now and it is expected that e-commerce sales will reach 17.5% of retail sales by 2021. Shopping online is becoming a more integral part of consumers.
Mind-blowing, right? Who would have thought that shopping online could become so important? It is even said that by 2040, 95% of shopping will happen online. So, if you don't have an online shop yet then those numbers should have convinced you to open one now.
Top 10 largest E-commerce Markets
Different generations shop differently. Generation X and Millennials spend the most time shopping online. Therefore, it is always important to keep different demographics in mind.
- Statistics show that 67% of USA millennials and 56% of USA Gen Xers prefer purchasing a product online than in-store.
- Boomers are 31% of the online shopping population.
- 66% of millennial consumers expect real-time responses and interactions, versus just 62% of baby boomers and traditionalists.
- 61% of millennials are happy to share personal data if it leads to a more personalized in-store or online shopping experience.
- Men usually spend 68% more money on online shopping than women do.
- 21.8% of the population worldwide are potential buyers.
- 95% of adults, who are active online, will follow a brand on social media.
Social Media Statistics
Since Millennials and Generation Z are the ones that spend most of their time shopping online you cannot forget that social media plays an important role in their life. In fact, social media is the 1st and 2nd method of brand communication and connection to millennials and Gen Z.
- YouTube has the highest pages per visit, longest visit duration and lowest average bounce rate.
- Instagram is the network where users are most likely to purchase something, since half of the users follow brands.
- 1 in 4 business owners are selling through Facebook.
- People spent 30% on social media when they spent time online.
- 3.5 billion people use Social Media
- 86% of women first check social media before buying a product.
- 55% American Gen Z and millennials’ fashion purchases were influenced by browsing on social media.
- 90.4% of Millennials, 77.5% of Generation X, and 48.2% of Baby Boomers are active social media users.
- 74% need social media to guide them when deciding whether they want to make a purchase or not.
- Lead conversion rates from social media are 13% higher than the average lead conversion rate across all channels.
- 40% of merchants use social media to generate sales.
- 30% of consumers say they would make purchases directly through social media platforms.
- An average of 3 hours are spent per day per person on social networks.
- 73% of marketers believe that their efforts through social media marketing have been “somewhat effective”.
- 71% of consumers who have had a positive experience with a brand on social media are likely to recommend the brand to their friends and family.
- 49% of consumers claim that they depend on influencer recommendations on social media to inform their purchasing decision.
- 91% of all social media users access social channels via mobile devices.
User Experience Statistics
User experience is one of the most important aspects a consumer looks back at when deciding whether they want to come back to you or rather go to a competitor. Factors that belong to a great user experience are website optimization, load time, omnichannel capabilities and customer service.
- Offering a good mobile experience improves the opinion of customers by 61%.
- 67% of mobile visitors are likely to make a purchase if they like the user experience the website offers.
- 23% of customers who had a positive experience told 10 or more people about it.
- Research shows that, on average, every $1 invested in UX brings $100 in return.
- 88% of online shoppers say they wouldn't return to a website after bad user experience.
- 85% of issues related to UX can be detected by performing a usability test on a group of 5 users.
- Better UI could raise your website's conversion rate by 200% and better UX design could yield conversion rates of up to 400%.
- 30% of shoppers will abandon the website if it is not optimised for mobile phones.
- 90% of users stop using an app due to poor performance.
- 61% of people will have a better opinion of the brand if you offer website optimisation.
- 57% of mobile customers will abandon your site if they have to wait three seconds for a page to load.
- If customers don’t like the layout or the website is too complicated, 37% of your customers will leave.
- 89% of customers have abandoned the webshop due to poor customer service.
- Live chat, with 73%, has the highest satisfaction level for a customer, followed by email with 61% and phone with 44%.
- People form 75% of their judgment on a website’s credibility purely on its aesthetics.
- Only 1% of users say e-commerce websites meet their expectations every time.
- Slow-loading websites cost their owners $2.6 billion in losses each year.
Mobile E-commerce Statistics
Mobile commerce is becoming more important, which therefore makes website optimisation beneficial to you. M-commerce gives users the opportunity to purchase something online without using a desktop computer. It is an evolution of e-commerce because you can simply purchase something everywhere and anywhere with your mobile.
- Mobile data traffic will have increased by 700% between 2016 and 2021.
- The volume of search queries made on smartphones are expected to grow to 70% by 2020.
- Mobile commerce sales are projected to reach $2.91 trillion in 2020 – 25.4 percent more than the $2.32 trillion it registered in 2019.
- The share of mobile commerce is expected to rise to 72.9% by 2021.
- By 2021, mobile ecommerce sales are expected to account for 54% of total ecommerce sales.
- The average time internet users spend online is 100 days a year.
- 2 out of 3 three dollars spent on online purchases today is done so through a mobile device.
- 80% of shoppers used a mobile phone inside of a physical store to either look up product reviews, compare prices or find alternative store locations.
Uploading the feedback from customers on your website, helps prospective customers decide whether they want to purchase something or not. Therefore, user social proof is beneficial to your company.
- 70% of people consult first with friends or a family member before purchasing the product.
- 81% trust the advice of family or friends over businesses.
- 91% of millennials trust online reviews as much as friends and family.
- 30% of online shoppers have given feedback online.
- 72% of customers won’t take action until they read reviews.
- 15% of users don’t trust businesses without reviews.
- Only 6% of consumers don’t trust customer reviews at all.
- Best-selling products’ have a 4.2-4.7 rating.
- More than half of consumers won’t use a business if it has less than a 4* rating.
- A single business review can lift its conversions by 10%.
- Online product reviews about a product can increase its conversion rate by more than 270%.
- 73% of consumers think written reviews are more important than star and number ratings.
- 77% of users don’t trust reviews older than three months.
- 43% of shoppers still say that text-based reviews influence their purchase decisions most vs. photos (33%) and video (24%).
- 82% of shoppers won’t choose a retailer with less than 3 stars.
Cart Abandonment Statistics
Reasons for abandoning the cart are unexpected extra costs, such as shipping fees, creating an account before purchasing or the checkout process has been too complicated.
- More than 50% of online shoppers abandon their cart.
- Shopping cart abandonment accounts for $18 billion in lost revenue each year.
- Sending a reminder email that customers still have products in their basket will be opened around 45%.
- Abandoned Cart Emails sent within 20 Minutes have an average conversion rate of 5.2%.
- If the shipping fee is too high, 44% of the customers will abandon their shopping cart.
- 23% of customers will abandon their shopping cart if they have to create an account before purchasing the product.
- 55% of Shoppers will abandon the card if they have to Re-enter their Credit Card or Shipping Information.
- 46% of Shoppers abandon their card because a discount code doesn’t work.
- 39% of Mobile Users abandon their cart because of difficulty entering their Personal Information.
- 53% of online shoppers abandon at checkout because they have to incur unexpected extra costs (shipping, tax, fees)
- Using Retargeted Ads Can Send 26% of Shoppers Back to Your Site.
- Personalizing Retargeted Ads Can Lead to ROIs of Over 1,300%.
- 85.65% is the average abandonment rate on mobile phones.
- Checkout abandonment rate is highest around 8-9 pm.
- Around 40% of shoppers place items in their cart without the intention of buying them.
Voice Search Statistics
Using voice search is just really convenient if you only have to talk to a computer instead of going online and actually search for something. It saves time and you probably won’t think twice about your purchase. Besides, personalisation is growing in importance with mobile voice-related searches as well, as the results are more likely to be location-based.
- Voice Searches became 50% of all the searches online by 2020.
- Almost 60% of people who own a voice assistant have used it to buy something through voice command.
- By 2022 voice commerce sales are supposed to reach $40billion.
- Voice commerce is predicted to reach 18% share of online consumer spending by 2022 in the USA.
- 1 in 4 consumers in the USA used a voice assistant while shopping during their holiday season in 2017.
- 31% of smartphone users worldwide use voice tech at least once a week.
- 55% of households are expected to own smart speaker devices by 2022.
- Almost 20% of all voice search queries are triggered by just 25 keywords.
- The majority of smart speaker owners in the US are in the age 18-36 age group.
- 61% of 25 to 64 year-olds say they will use their voice devices more in the future.
- 82% of voice assistant users worldwide use them to seek information.
- Voice users demonstrate 2X higher use of different types of apps compared to non-voice users.
- Up to 43% of voice-enabled device owners use their device to shop.
Email Marketing Statistics
You are probably already using email marketing and sending out personalized emails to every customer, gathering more information and email addresses from new customers. For some, email marketing is quite effective however, you need to make sure that you don’t overload your customers with too many emails.
- Email Marketing has an ROI 3100%.
- Based on promotional email, 44% of recipients made at least one purchase.
- Customers that purchased something through email marketing spend 138% more.
- 86% of consumers reported that they would like to receive promotional emails from companies they do business with on at least a monthly basis.
- 54% of customers would share their email address in order to spend less money.
- 78% of customers unsubscribed from email marketing because they received too many emails.
- Personalized emails deliver 6X higher transaction rates.
- Email marketing drives €44 for every €1 spent.
- Confirmation emails have one of the highest engagement rates, with an average open rate of 65%, an average click rate of 17% and average order rate of 3.77%.
- Only 39% of digital retailers distribute personalised product recommendations to their subscribers through email.
- The average open rate for a welcome email is 50%. That makes it 86% more effective than standard newsletters.
- Triggered emails receive 70.5% more opens than any other type of email.
- Post-purchase follow up mails have a 2.5x better open and 7.9x better click rate than the industry average.
Personalization is more important than ever because it offers intimacy and is a key element in today's advertising. It gives you the ability to reach specific audiences and it is the foundation of modern marketing. You should use personalization to your advantage and market individually to your customers.
- 71% feel frustrated when their shopping experience is impersonal.
- 80% are more likely to buy from a store with personalized experiences.
- 33% who ended their relationship with a company did so because the experience wasn’t personalized enough.
- 79% are only likely to reengage with an offer if it has been personalized.
- In-house marketers who are personalizing their web experiences and who are able to quantify the improvement see, on average, a 19% uplift in sales.
- Personalized homepage promotions influenced 85% of consumers to buy while personalized shopping cart recommendations influenced 92% of shoppers online.
- 57% are okay with providing personal information (on a website) as long as it’s for their benefit and being used in responsible ways.
- If they get personalized offers or discounts, 63% of millennials, 58% of Gen Xers, and 46% of Baby Boomers are willing to share personal information with companies.
- 88% of U.S. marketers reported seeing measurable improvements due to personalization, with more than half reporting a lift greater than 10%.
- 44% of consumers say that they will likely become repeat buyers after a personalized shopping experience with a particular company.
- 31% of consumers say they wish their shopping experience was far more personalized than it currently is.
- 77% of consumers have chosen, recommended, or paid more for a brand that provides a personalized service or experience.
- 75% of consumers are more likely to buy from a retailer that recognises them by name, recommends options based on past purchases, or knows their purchase history.
- 7% of people say they would be likely to engage with a birthday email sent by a retailer.
- 54% of shoppers anticipate a personalized discount within a day of sharing their information with a retailer.
- 20.6% of customers purchase products via personalized search.
- There is a 5.9x higher probability that customers convert after using personalized search.
- If you use personalization on your webshop it will help increase your profits by 15%.
Search Engine Optimisation Statistics
Let’s be honest, everyone wants to get the most traffic to their own website and tries everything to accomplish that. But not everyone can afford paid advertisements and therefore, only organic traffic can be used. You want to and need to attract customers that are genuinely interested in your products.
- 7.2% of all clicks on Google are to paid results.
- 80% of consumers are ignoring ads and only focus on organic results.
- Organic SEO has 5.5 times better ROI.
- Including a video in a post increases organic traffic from search results by 157%.
- 30% of mobile searches are location-based queries.
- 34% of online shoppers visit a store within a day of their local search.
- 28% of searchers that are close-by result in a purchase.
- Google uses over 200 factors in their algorithm for ranking websites.
- Nearly 50% of pages found on the first page of Google use HTTPS encryption.
- Organic search results that rank on page 1 of Google contain an average of 1,890 words.
If you have any further questions or would like to add more statistics, write us at marketing(at)clerk.io. We are looking forward to hearing from you. :-)